Replace doors or put in storm doors?

Old 09-10-14, 07:09 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replace doors or put in storm doors?

I have a renovated farm house from the 1960's. The guy who "remodeled" was a contractor who took stuff from other buildings, apparently, but made them "look" good. The front and back exterior door are not square and putting weatherstripping hasn't worked. You can still see daylight. Last winter was a nightmare as we had an unusual arctic north wind whipping through the house.

My first thought was put storm doors in and that would fix it.

Others have told me no, that won't really help. They said I need to have someone put in new pre-hung doors.

What's your take on this issue?

Old 09-10-14, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
New doors will make much more of a difference. Storms will help, but for a quality door, you'll spend more than a decent pre-hung exterior door.

For the best info you should take off any interior trim and inspect/measure the rough opening and supporting structure.

Old 09-10-14, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Well, a good storm door actually costs more than a sale priced exterior prehung door. If the door is drafty, a storm door won't help much anyway. Storm doors help, but they aren't completely air tight either. So I'd say you should probably replace the doors.

Old 09-11-14, 04:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree, if the current doors can't be made to fit, replacement is needed.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 09-11-14, 02:40 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for your advise. I don't have the skill to do it myself, but now I know the right thing to do!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: