Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

How to get just double pane replacement glass?

Old 09-20-14, 07:36 AM

I would like to replace the double pane glass in one of my windows without replacing the whole window. There are some numbers in between the panes but I think it is just the manufacturer info. Can any one help?

Here is what is in there:

CBA 1GCC CBA 1GMAC W1

Not sure if those are 1's or i's or small L's

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-14, 08:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That is normally the way it is done. You'll have to contact a glazier so they can measure the pane, and possibly have the IGU made to size. They will install it in your existing frame.

Old 09-20-14, 09:45 AM
this is not something I can do? can I order the glass? thanks

Old 09-20-14, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
You can order the IGU, but it's much easier and not that much more expensive to have them do it. Ideally, you remove the sash and take it to them, sealing the window with plywood or something in the mean time.

If you really want to DIY, you'll need to disassemble the sash anyway to get exact measurements on H and W as well as thickness.

Some vinyl sashes are actually assembled around the glass and require it to be cut apart then re-welded chemically.

The glass shop will have all the tools and sealants needed to do the job and I'd recommend taking it to them.

Old 09-28-14, 06:26 PM
This particular one is vinyl on the outside but wood on the inside. I thought maybe I could just take off wood trim (that looks kind of like 1/4 round but a little smaller) pop out the existing glass, put new glass in, seal it, put wood trim back on and be done. No complete removal of sash. What do you think?

Old 09-28-14, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
We have no way of giving you specific advice without seeing the window. So if you could upload some pictures that might help. Closeup of the inside edge of the glass and outside edge of the glass. Otherwise we are guessing at what part gets removed in order to measure the glass. Measuring the IGU thickness is the hard part.... especially if you don't have the calipers for it.

As was already mentioned, with a double pane insulating glass unit (IGU) the size of the unit is critical. width x height x thickness. These measurements need to be exact, which is why someone who knows what they are doing will usually come measure the glass... then the IGU has to be specially made... then once it arrives, it can be installed.