shed window installation question

Old 10-03-14, 08:55 AM
shed window installation question

I'm building a shed that will have one window on the side. I've got all the walls up and am ready to install the smartsiding panels. My question is do I put in the window before or after the siding? Sorry if thats a dumb question but I've never installed a window before. The window has a nailing flange, so do I simply put on the siding and cut out an opening for the window? does any part of the siding go over the window flange, or should I cut the siding back so that the entire window flange is exposed so I can nail it to the rough opening frame? I want to follow the standard practice but also want to make it easy if I ever had to change the window I would not have to pull off the siding. If someone could tell me what goes on first and if any part of the window is behind any part of the siding. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-14, 08:59 AM
Group Moderator
Window first. then trim the window with brickmould or Smarttrim. Drip cap on top of the trim. Then siding.

Old 10-03-14, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the reply. Not sure what you mean on trimming window with brickmould or smarttrim? can you explain that? And also, I need to know how far back I cut the trim, do I cut it so it leaves the whole rough opening exposed, or do I cut the trim to fit the actual rough opening?
and is it possible that I can do this in a way where I don't actually have to install the window first? I still have a long way to go on the shed and was hoping that something so breakable could be put in last.

Old 10-03-14, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
Not sure what you mean on trimming window with brickmould or smarttrim?
After you have put the window in, install exterior trim (brickmould profile is 2" wide) around the perimeter of the window, (or use LP Smarttrim 1x2 or 1x4) to cover the nailing fin of the window.

And also, I need to know how far back I cut the trim, do I cut it so it leaves the whole rough opening exposed, or do I cut the trim to fit the actual rough opening?
I have no idea what this even means. Maybe the next answer will cover that, not sure.

is it possible that I can do this in a way where I don't actually have to install the window first? I still have a long way to go on the shed and was hoping that something so breakable could be put in last.
That's not the proper sequence, and you would probably just be making it hard on yourself. I suppose you could put all the siding on... then cut the siding out later... put the window in temporarily... draw a line around the nailing fin to represent where the window will be... then remove the window and cut the siding out along a line that will represent the outside perimeter of the exterior trim (depending on the width of trim you use, it will be maybe 1/2" to 2" farther away from your reference line you drew around the window) Then put the window back in, and put the exterior trim on. That's a lot of jacking around. I think you're being paranoid about breaking the window.