Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Installing full swing hinges on wood screen door

Old 10-03-14, 03:18 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am installing a custom wood screen door that has fixed screens and removable glass panels. Total height is 83 inches and 36 wide. The weight of the door with the panels is approx 60 lbs. I am using solid brass full swing hinges (not mortised and full view on the outside of the door. How many hinges should I use? 3 or 4?

Also what is the optimal spacing between the door and jamb on all four sides? 1/4 inch sufficient?

Thanks for the information!

Old 10-03-14, 03:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You should probably use 3 hinges since it is over 50#. Common measurements are 5 1/8" down, 10 1/8" up. Those are the top of the top and the bottom of the bottom hinges. Measure the distance between the two marks and divide by 2. That will give you the center of the third hings. It varies by installer, as I was always told 7 down and 11 up.

Old 10-03-14, 05:13 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. How big or tall would the door have to be to need 4 hinges?

What about the space around the door itself? Should I keep 1/4 inch spacing between the door and the jamb so the hinge operates properly?

Old 10-03-14, 05:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It's a combination of door thickness, weight and height that will dictate the number of hinges and size of hinge. You should keep an equal spacing around the perimeter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: