Converted Bedroom Needs Soundproof Door

Old 10-06-14, 08:28 AM

I recently moved into a new rental apartment in New York CIty. My bedroom used to be the front living room, so it's huge, but it's separated from the den/kitchen area by a very wide doorway, which currently has two bifold closet doors. The doors are paper thin and don't reach the floor beneath, so neither rooms is sound insulated. I'd like to have sound privacy in my room. Is there a way I can relatively cheaply do that? I'm not opposed to installing a solid door of some kind (nor is my landlord), I just don't want to blow a whole lot of money on it.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-14, 08:45 AM
Hi Danny,
A couple of problems are, one, the glass above will still transmit a lot of sound, and two, any interior door you install will not seal all the way around. To get a tight fitting door it needs to be an exterior unit.

Beyond that it is relatively (not cheap) easy to remove the existing doors and frame that opening for a new single exterior door, although exterior doors do have thresholds to deal with.

Done right it could easily be converted back to what you have now.

Bud

Old 10-06-14, 08:54 AM

All that carpet is gone now, replaced by hardwood laminate

Old 10-06-14, 08:59 AM
Thanks Bud,
So you're saying I an actually replace the entire door frame? That does sound like an expensive operation. I don't need the door to be totally soundproof, just to provide the same amount of sound insulation that an ordinary bedroom door would. As for the glass above, there's really not much I can do about that. I was thinking of covering it with a short curtain.

Old 10-06-14, 09:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your door opening is too wide for a single hinged door. I wonder if a heavy drape hung over the opening all the way to the floor would give enough sound dampening ??

Old 10-06-14, 09:08 AM
I was considering that. Someone in another forum also recommended I put a normal door in and fill in the gap on the side with drywall. I wonder if that would be too hard to execute well/ restore to the original.

Old 10-06-14, 09:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You wouldn't be able to use a prehung but you could frame it out so you could use a single door and fill with drywall on one side or the other. The work could be reversed but would require patching/painting.

Old 10-06-14, 09:34 PM
Sorry, I'm unfamiliar, what's a prehung door?

Old 10-07-14, 02:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Prehung door is a door attached to a frame with hinges. One unit, so there is no mortising of hinges or latches. The only problem I see with the scenario is it is a "rental" unit. You can't make modifications to it without express written consent of the landlord. I doubt anyone would allow the modifications mentioned in a rental unit.