Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Butyl flashing tape in the way of putting wood trim on the inside edges of windo

Butyl flashing tape in the way of putting wood trim on the inside edges of windo

Old 10-06-14, 12:51 PM

Butyl flashing tape in the way of putting wood trim on the inside edges of windows.

Here is a dilemna I am having. I installed a bunch of new construction type of windows with flanges a while back. I also installed some butyl flashing tape both under the flanges and over the flanges.

Here is my problem. The butyl flashing tape is a little bit thick, and it is lining the inside of the framing where the interior window sill, sides, and top will have wood trim. For example, see this picture which is not mine but illustrates my situation. The areas that are circled in yellow is the red colored butyl flashing tape. The picture only illustrates someone that has the butyl flashing tape only covering the bottom portion of framing. However, my situation unlike this picture is that the flashing tape extends completely upside and tops of the inside edges of the framing. And it completely covers the framing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]39546[/ATTACH]

Should I just nail the interior window sill and trim right on top of the thickish butyl flashing tape, or should I just cut out all of butyl flashing tape on the inside of the windows so that I can nail the windowsill and trim to the framing?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-14, 02:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are all the windows flashed like this?? I hope you don't have any leaks. The lower window flash pan should have been placed directly on the OSB and window framing, with the WRB held in place below on the last run. The side WRB should have been cut back 4" from the edges of the windows, the window flange nailed in place, sealant placed over the flange and the tape over the flange and the edge of the cut back WRB. The top WRB should have been cut back in a V from each edge of the window and temporarily taped up until taping was done on the top flange, then lowered into place and the V cuts taped with Tyvek tape.

Whew! Now, to your problem. Build your jamb extension and sill as one piece, taking measurements from the window, then installing it as one piece, shimming it to plumb and level. Your trim molding will cover the edges.

Old 10-06-14, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
Should I just nail the interior window sill and trim right on top of the thickish butyl flashing tape
Yes. The flashing will be somewhat self-healing.

In addition to assembling the jamb prior to installation, I like to plan on putting base shoe around the perimeter of the jamb where it meets the window. That will usually allow you to flush the jamb up with the face of the drywall regardless of the distance from drywall to window. (the base shoe covers any gap). It also makes casing a lot easier when the jambs are nice and flush- or maybe recessed just a 1/16"- behind the drywall.