Moisture Control Around Windows

Old 10-06-14, 02:57 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moisture Control Around Windows

Hello,

I have metal framed windows in my bathroom that transfer too much moisture onto the drywall and sill. So I'm getting ready to replace the sill and repair the drywall and I'm trying to figure out the best 'preventive' approach so I don't wind up in the same situation again.

I'm thinking about carving a narrow V groove into the the drywall abutting the metal frame and running a small bead of silicone or latex caulk and laying a strip of waxed cord on top of that.

It seems like this will give me a decent moisture barrier between the frame and the wall and sill.

I'd appreciate hearing anyone's thoughts about how effective this will be and/or other ideas ... Thanks!

Old 10-06-14, 04:38 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do you have an exhaust fan in the bathroom? Getting rid of the source of moisture is always the best solution. You can also update the window itself as you are already performing some remodeling. Temperature differentials are causing condensation at the cooler window. Steam from a hot shower is fueling the moisture.

Old 10-06-14, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,646 Upvotes on 1,474 Posts
The drywall that butts up to the window could either be put in a vinyl drywall j-channel or use a tear-away L-bead around the window prior to installing the drywall. Either will prevent the drywall from wicking up water from the window condensation. You can caulk the joint too if you like.

Old 10-07-14, 02:30 PM
R
... i didn't know about j-channel and L-bead ... very useful ... but in my particular situation i'm trying to find a fix that will avoid having to tear out the existing strip of drywall framing the window ... do you think I could install the L-bead into the inner corner where the drywall meets the metal widow frame? I realize i wouldn't have a flat surface along the drywall panel but that esthetic doesn't mean much to me ...

... and regarding the moisture ... it seems like the bead will function like roof flashing ... channeling the water away from the drywall, but won't it drip down the bead onto the sill : /

Thanks for helping me understand this ...

Old 10-07-14, 03:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,646 Upvotes on 1,474 Posts
A way to avoid tearing drywall out? Put bullnose tile around it. or maybe a pvc base shoe.

Old 10-07-14, 03:43 PM
R
xsleeper ... you're a CREATIVE craftsman : ) Let me think about it a little bit ...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: