Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pocket door not sliding smoothly anymore

IL

10-09-14, 06:45 PM   #1  
Pocket door not sliding smoothly anymore

I have a pocket door for a bathroom (maybe about 12 years old). It suddenly started to get tough to close. I tried to clean and lube the rails and front wheels. Didn't really fix the issue. Is there any adjustability?
What could be causing this?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

10-09-14, 08:24 PM   #2  
Hard telling. Does the door seem to be rubbing on anything? Does it still line up plumb with the jamb when it's fully closed? Is there enough clearance at the floor? Are the guides at the bottom of the jamb out of whack?

And is this a trolley style wheel... 3 wheels in front / 3 wheels in back?

IL

10-10-14, 05:49 AM   #3  
The door seems to bind somewhere. I just can't tell where. The door seems to clear all the jambs.
The jamb is somewhat out of plump. The door a little. As a result there is a slight gap. There is a lot of clearance on the floor. The guides at the bottom seem to be fine.
From what I can see I have the trolley style hardware with three wheels each.

Group Moderator

NE

10-10-14, 05:57 AM   #4  
I can't see how adjusting the door height would help. Either something is on the floor under the door inside the pocket or one of the wheel bearings is bad.

To remove the door you would need to take off the top stop on one side or the other and unhook the door from the rollers.

That would be the only way to diagnose and change a bad roller. Its probably Johnson hardware... so google to find the nearest location near you or order parts online.

IL

10-11-14, 02:31 PM   #5  
I triple checked one more time. The door can freely travel, it is not rubbing against anything.
The rollers seem to be OK as they seem to roll fine for a little while.
I wonder if the door is pushing more on the rollers within the channel and bind this way?

I am assuming there is no way to level the door without removing the trim,...?

CAL

10-11-14, 04:15 PM   #6  
Hi, Does the door show any signs of rubbing? Maybe a wheel is off the track. I have never seen a 3 wheel trolley. 1 or 2 or 4 wheels per trolley on each end.
woodbutcher

Group Moderator

NE

10-11-14, 07:30 PM   #7  
http://www.jhusa.net/images/bulkparts/bp580/1125580.jpg

If your trolley is like this pne you will see the lever thst unlocks the trolley from the mounting plate. the trolley can then be slid out of the mounting plate... not easy to do if you're not familiar with them. But yes you probably need to remove the top stop to either adjust or remove the door.

Search this Thread