Doors that squeak and sag

Old 03-19-01, 08:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Okay, this must seem like a REALLY basic one, but here goes. Been in our new home just over a year, and some interior doors have begun to sag and squeak. How do I fix this? If hinges need to be "oiled", what substance should I use, WD40? Thanks!
-hibricc

Old 03-22-01, 10:40 AM
Visiting Guest
WD 40 does work but is not a good long-term product. Graphite is more long term but can cause staining directly under the hinges.

I like to use spray oil.

If this is a new home the sagging doors should be warranted by the builder.

Old 03-22-01, 10:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help, MTAC!

Unfortunately, though the house is what I consider "new", it's now a few months beyond the one-year new home warranty provided by our builder. And it would probably take months to get him to squeeze us in anyway.

I've been told that 4" wood screws in the hinges are the way to fix and prevent the sag. True?

Old 03-23-01, 12:31 PM
Visiting Guest
The long screws is a fix. But it may just be a band-aid. It sounds as though the finish guys may have left the shims out of the doors when the were hung. Putting a screw there in the top hinge will fix the sag, but will not fix the real problem. That is if they left the shims out.

A 3" screw is sufficient. Be careful to not overdrive it.

If they did in fact leave the hinges out, the builder should still be held responsible. Even after warranty.

That is MY professional opinion.

Lefty. Jack. yours?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: