Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

New door installed on existing door jam - Will not close

Old 10-17-14, 08:37 PM

I have removed a door from an existing door frame. I bought a door with the same dimensions and installed the hinges to the new door as accurately and as precisely as possible. I left the other hinges on the door frame that were already existing. I am able to get the pin into the hinge with some fidgeting but when I attempt to close the door it will only get halfway and then I feel a lot of tension, especially at the bottom as if the pin is jamming. The hinges won't close. Are my hinges I attached out of allignment or placed to close to the edge of the door?
Help please!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-14, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
If this is an interior door, its probably hittting on the door stop as it closes. Remove the door stop and reinstall it once the door is closed. Sometimes just a hard tap with a block of wood and a hammer can move the door stop a 1/16".

Old 10-17-14, 08:59 PM
There is no door stop, it feels as if the pins are being pinched. Are the hinges misaligned?

Old 10-18-14, 03:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Check to see that the hinge halves were installed properly. I had a recent encounter with a client who installed hinges on a door and had one backwards, negating the closing ability of the door.