Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing Panels with Glass in Old Door

IN

11-07-14, 12:37 PM   #1  
Replacing Panels with Glass in Old Door

I have an old wood framed door with wood panels and I'm replacing the plywood panels with glass. We'll use the door for a greenhouse so it will be exterior. There is one opening 19" X 22" and a larger one 40" X 22". It's easiest if I simply replace the 2 panes with 2 panes of class but this means one glass pane will be 22" X 40". Is that okay or should I make a rail and split the 40" and use 2 20" glass panes?

I hope this makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-07-14, 01:20 PM   #2  
I don't have the answer for you but question whether or not the door will be stiff enough once the wood panels are replaced with glass. Is this originally an exterior door? exterior doors use a different glue than interior doors. Wooden exterior doors should always be sealed on all 6 sides [that includes top/bottom]

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NY

11-07-14, 01:22 PM   #3  
Be sure to use plate glass, not ordinary window glass. The size does not really make a difference.

IN

11-07-14, 01:55 PM   #4  
Thanks for the quick replies. Yes, Norm I am using tempered glass - probably 3/8" (the thickness of the original wood panels). Marksr, we bought this at the Habitat Restore and my best guess is that it was interior - maybe a pocket door judging from the placement of the old screw holes. I had assumed if we primed it and painted it well enough it would hold up well enough - it's for a restored greenhouse. Never considered what glue was used. Huhm........

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-07-14, 02:01 PM   #5  
It's a crap shoot if an interior door will hold up on the exterior long term. Coating all 6 sides with an exterior oil base primer will help. Sometimes the glue on interior doors will soften up if it gets damp.

IN

11-07-14, 02:08 PM   #6  
That makes sense. As long as it outlasts me its all good

NY

11-07-14, 03:45 PM   #7  
Try using an exterior spar varnish.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-08-14, 04:03 AM   #8  
Norm, he said he was going to paint so an oil base primer is in order but for a stain or natural finish an oil base spar varnish or spar urethane would be best. Oil base coatings seal better than latex, paint will generally hold up longer than varnish on the exterior.

As long as it outlasts me its all good
35 years ago I built a shed where I installed a new [free] luan door. Despite using an oil primer and 2 coats of oil base enamel, the door came apart after a few years About 10 yrs ago I put a used interior 5 panel door on the back of my shop and it's held up well but it does have a small porch roof to protect it.

NY

11-08-14, 04:21 AM   #9  
Did you price 3/8" tempered glass? Besides the cost, the weight would probably be to much for the door. 1/8" tempered is all you would need. I would also be concerned with the fact that it's not an exterior door. What is the size of the door? Since it's for a green house, an inexpensive aluminum storm door would do the job.

Search this Thread