Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Installing Double Doors - Need Advice

11-10-14, 10:59 AM   #1  
Installing Double Doors - Need Advice

I had another post going about installing a single 36"x80" slab door, but now I'm thinking about installing two 18"x80" slab doors to make a double(?) door (French doors without the glass).

My doorway only has what I believe is the casing and the jamb. There has never been a door hung there before, so nothing is cut/chiseled out for the hinges or the strikeplate, etc. The door way measures approximately 36 3/16" x 80 3/16".

I'm interested in the double doors because they will take up less space when open. The main thing is that the door(s) has to shut tight to keep out pets and toddlers. So I'm wondering how complicated it would be to install two slab doors (double door) vs. the single slab door? The two 18"x80" doors do not come with a bore hole for the knob or the strike plate (one door would have a knob and the other would have a strike plate, correct?), but the 36"x80" door does.

The doors will have to be installed by a family member who used to be an expert at this sort of thing. Unfortunately, they have since suffered from brain damage and now tends to make many mistakes. So I'm concerned about damage to the jamb and casing.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

11-10-14, 03:33 PM   #2  
Installing two smaller doors will create it own set of problems. When the doors close, one panel must be pin locked up and down to the jamb to allow the other panel to close and latch. Then, everytime you choose to use this door, you will need to un pin the fixed panel and push it open. At only 18", walking through only one panel will be a real PITA.

Group Moderator

NE

11-10-14, 08:33 PM   #3  
You could do the double doors and just put ball catches and strike plates on the tops of the doors, although I don't know that it would keep a toddler out for long once he figures out all he needs to do is push hard on the door to get it open.

Search this Thread