does this window need replaced (price)

Old 11-17-14, 06:46 AM
does this window need replaced (price)

a relative is buying this house and i see in the development that all the arch windows have this issue. condensation on the inside of the window glass. its in full sun in afternoon and inside was totally dry so it's 'in' the window. visibile all 3 times visited the house

pull out your magic 8 ball and estimate a price if you dare. also does something like this generally get worse and is their air infiltration? just unsure how big a deal this is and if it should be done right away. we are in PA if that matters. and unsure sellers will want to pay for it. yes i'm getting inspection but curious what you guys think

it's the top half circle window

Name:  170m.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  24.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-14, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Depends on how the window is constructed....but really rough ballpark....$800. All depends on labor costs in your area of course.

Old 11-18-14, 07:54 AM
how bad an issue is condensation inside the window.

Old 11-18-14, 07:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 72
Condensation between the panes of insulated glass means the seal is no longer tight and the window isn't energy efficient as it once was. Other than that it's just a matter of not looking nice. 2 windows in my office fog up occasionally but most of the time they are clear. IMO, those 2 windows aren't bad enough for me to go thru the trouble/expense of replacing the insulated glass unit.

Old 11-18-14, 10:05 AM
Upvotes Received: 16
Some mfgs may offer a warranty when the seal fails. Can you see who made these? Usually on one of the corners and I always need a magnifying glass to read them.

Bud

Old 11-19-14, 05:51 AM
will have to see when the house is inspected if we can see who made the windows. so if the seal isnt tight i guess that is a 'legit' thing to be fixed before buying a house. every other window in the house is fine, including the other 3 immediately below this arched window. so hopefully they give some money off to make it 'perfect' for the price they are paying for the house.

how it looks really isnt the end of the world but as you know things only get worse so if this will eventually 'leak' then she would want it fixed now

Old 11-19-14, 06:05 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 37
We replace a handful of IGUs in our units every year - it's a pretty reasonable DIY job most of the time.