Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Window appears to have moved from it's original position.

Old 11-18-14, 10:40 PM

Please forgive me, I am no handyman, but I do care about my home and windows.

My wife and I noticed that two of our windows seem to have moved from their original resting place on the interior sill. I have attached photos to show what I am talking about.

Should I be concerned about this!? My first instinct would be to just caulk/seal it and carry on, but I don't want anything drastic to happen like my window fall out.

Any window experts want to weigh in?

Name:  IMG_0814.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  20.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0815.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  22.6 KB

Thanks so much.

Chance

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-14, 02:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! I would recommend a good elastomeric caulk in white. It will expand and contract with the seasons. It is apparent colder weather has caused the crack to expose itself more. Clean off the old caulk with a flat scraper and install the new.

Old 11-19-14, 03:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, caulk is all you need and unless the window unit is loose - it's not going anywhere! You'd be able to tell it's loose when you open/close the window.

Old 11-19-14, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
It's possible that in addition to the vinyl shrinking in the cold that some swelling of the sheathing that it's nailed to has caused that gap to expand.

It looks to me like that trim around the window could have been a little larger. It will take a pretty large bead of caulk to fill in that gap, and the larger the gap the more likely the caulk will be to fail.

Personally, I'd probably remove the trim around all 4 sides of the window, scrape off any old caulking and then replace the old trim with a new, wider trim. That will cover the gap completely and you will just have to use a fine bead of painters caulk on the edges of the trim.