Storm Window Condensation

Old 12-07-14, 12:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Storm Window Condensation

The storm windows in the upstairs of our 2-story house have condensation on the storm windows. It's not on the interior window panes (outside or inside). The windows are probably original from the late 40's, which I'm sure is part of or the main issue. I do put the 3M window film on most of our windows in the house. We aren't replacing the windows so I'm just looking for some inexpensive fixes or tips on managing it until we sell the house in the next couple years.

We did have a humidifier installed this fall because our house was super dry last winter. I bought a humidity meter which says humidity throughout the house between 30-37%.No other rooms have it (other than the bathroom with no fan, which is next to the problem room). I already have the humidifier on one of the lowest settings.

Any tips?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-14, 01:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Confused.
If you have old windows outside plus storm windows on the outside why are you using shrink wrap storm windows over that?
If someone has caulked or there's built up paint over the drain holes at the bottom of those storm windows there's your issue.

Old 12-07-14, 02:55 PM
The old windows are french pane up and down sliding windows. Those are on the inside with the storm windows on the outside. We use the 3m window film on the inside to prevent the drafts.

Ok, I'll check the drain holes at the bottom.

Thanks!

Old 12-07-14, 03:06 PM
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
I think Joe has the answer. Humid inside air is leaking through to the space between the outside storm and the inside window. Or, there is anouther source of moisture entering that cavity. But those drain holes would typically both drain any water and vent out any other moisture.

Bud

Old 12-07-14, 07:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If there's storm windows plus double hung windows there should not be any drafts.
Anytime I see an old house with windows like yours that I'm looking to buy is deduct the cost of new double pane windows.
Installed right it would lower your heating and cool cost by about 25%.
If there really old windows the huge empty holes on both sides where the window weighs are that are open all the way to the back side of the siding.
When I've removed the old casing I've seen daylight where all the air leaks are.