Door won't stay closed

Old 12-08-14, 08:59 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Door won't stay closed

Now I've looked for an article to help me with this but not a single one of them seemed to believe that this problem could be caused by anything but the strike plate. The strike plate is fine and the latch lines up with it perfectly, the problem is the latch won't extend fully from the door. I can pull it to full extension with my finger requiring almost no force but no manipulation of the knob itself with cause the latch to extend fully, even when the door is open.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-14, 03:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Try loosening the two screws holding the lockset plate to the door. It may be in a bind. If nothing there, loosen the two screws holding the two halves of the lockset together. Again things can be bound up with the initial installation. You may need to remove the lockset and use graphite to lightly lubricate the sliding parts. I don't think it is the strike plate, either, unless it is not matching up. It fit from the factory where it was made, it should fit in your house. If you have had settling in the house, the door frame could have been affected somewhat, but I'd try the lockset fix first. Let us know how that goes.

Old 12-09-14, 06:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
If its not binding like Larry suggested, then it sounds like the spring inside the latch may be damaged. If this is a "new" passage set and it was a "drive in" type of latch, I have occasionally had latches that were damaged by the hammering in of the latch into the door.

If it's an old handle... and just recently quit working, then maybe it's worn out and its time to replace the latch.