Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Small basement hopper window - removing during fire..

MD

12-11-14, 09:42 AM   #1  
Small basement hopper window - removing during fire..

Hello, I have a small basement hopper window of the same style as the below picture.

I am wondering if there is a set of hardware that I can purchase that will allow the window to become unhinged and removed from the open position so that someone could take it out and crawl through in the event of a fire? If not, is there a different style of window that would allow for this but fit in the existing frame?

I realize that this may still not meet newer construction code or allow an especially large person to crawl through, but it seems like a low-cost alternative to having no escape at all.

Name:  hopper-window-1.jpg
Views: 5979
Size:  46.0 KB

Sponsored Links

NY

12-11-14, 12:57 PM   #2  
A lot of people seem to think egress from a basement is important. It is if used as living or sleeping quarters but I find that otherwise it's a bit of a waste of time and energy. I'm just say'n.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-12-14, 04:21 AM   #3  
Is there a bedroom in the basement or will there ever be one?
Removal able window or not that will not pass for an egress window, it's to small.
How would someone with full turn out gear and an air pack fit through there?

Group Moderator

NE

12-12-14, 06:01 AM   #4  
The short arms pop off and the sash lifts out. Other than that, I agree with the others.

MD

12-15-14, 07:16 AM   #5  
The short arms pop off and the sash lifts out. Other than that, I agree with the others.
How do the arms pop off?

The basement is used as a playroom/media room and occasional guest sleeping area.

I realize that a large window meeting egress code is ideal. Unfortunately this requires digging out an area currently frozen and covered by a concrete patio, as well as cutting through a poured foundation wall. I can swap hardware in an evening and have the situation improved immediately, even if it isn't ideal.

Group Moderator

NE

12-15-14, 07:45 PM   #6  
Give me a closeup picture of the arms so that I can be sure to give you the correct directions.

MD

12-17-14, 07:14 PM   #7  
Hope this is clear enough.. thank you!

Name:  2014-12-15 23.27.48 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  22.9 KB

Group Moderator

NE

12-17-14, 07:57 PM   #8  
Um... yeah, it is a crappy picture! If it was a little brighter I would be able to tell for sure... the end of that arm is kind of dark. But I think I recognize it. I believe that the piece of flat steel (the arm) that goes diagonally across the opening has a screw at the top of it's track that prevents the sash from coming out. I believe that if you remove those 2 screws (one left one right) that you can then lift the entire sash up and out of the track. The arm guide will come out first, then the hinge pivot guide will follow it out as you keep the sash open 90 and lift the entire thing straight up. Don't raise the sash higher on the left or right or the guides will bind in the track- keep it level as you lift it so that the guides will both come out of their tracks at the same time.

Getting it in and out may be a trick if you've never done it before. But they do come out fairly easily if you know what you're doing.

This will be a good time to clean and lubricate the tracks. Wipe any dirt out and lube them with a silicone spray. (No OIL!)

MD

12-20-14, 05:00 AM   #9  
Here's a better picture. The black part at the end of the arm is plastic..

Just to be clear... I was hoping to remove this if there was a fire and someone was trapped in the basement. Removing screws from the frame isn't really a reasonable solution.

I was hoping that there would be some hardware that retained the window in a close position but would allow the window to be lifted out when in an opened position.

Name:  2014-12-20 07.38.01 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  28.5 KB

Group Moderator

NE

12-20-14, 06:38 AM   #10  
Well, now that there is a better picture, I can see that the screw does not need to come off. It is not in a location that traps the hinge pivot guide in the track, as some do.

I'm a bit curious about the black cap on the end of that arm. The picture isn't lit enough to show any detail on the cap, it just looks smooth. If that's the case, I wonder if it just pops off of it's pivot peg when you pry under it. Gently prying right next to that cap (under the metal part of the arm, but as close as possible to the cap) with a screwdriver or prybar (not to the point of bending it) might pop it off. Once that diagonal arm is free, the sash would just lift out.

And to be clear, there IS NO HARDWARE that will do what you want to do without the use of "some sort of tool". It is not an egress window. You "might" be able to jury-rig it by completely cutting off the diagonal arms, but that would cause the window to freely flop all the way down when you open it, and it may want to bind slightly at the pivot point since there would be no longer be a pivot point to help raise it. Apart from a brick or baseball bat, that would be your only possible solution.

Trying to disconnect the arms (like I mentioned already) would be the first step. If they pop off, you can then see how far down the sash will open. I wouldn't suggest you cut those arms off until you know for sure if that makes you happy.

MD

12-26-14, 06:59 PM   #11  
Thanks, XSleeper!

Do you know if there is another small type of window that I could replace with that would completely clear the opening? Such as a double hung window?

Group Moderator

NE

12-26-14, 08:15 PM   #12  
There are a few types of "basement hopper" windows that hinge on top, and just lift out of the pivots on top. You could also get a double slider (not a single hung slider) where both sashes operate, and could be lifted up and out of the frame. Problem is, people would still need to know/learn how to take the sashes out.

Search this Thread