Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Frost on interior side of new windows

NE

12-30-14, 06:37 AM   #1  
Frost on interior side of new windows

I replaced four windows on the upstairs of my house this past fall. This morning I woke and found frost on the interior side bottoms of the windows. Is that normal?

It is very cold. It is currently -2 with a decent wind.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

12-30-14, 06:41 AM   #2  
Yes. Pretty hard to avoid when the humidity in the home is over 25% when its that cold out. Keeping blinds open and running a box fan would circulate enough air that it probably wouldn't happen. Make sure the windows are locked.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-30-14, 10:18 AM   #3  
Air leaks can also cause it.
What type windows, new construction, replacement, single pane?

Group Moderator

NC

12-30-14, 01:10 PM   #4  
Down here in NC I get condensation on the inside of vinyl, dual pane, low-e, argon filled windows. During our colder nights it turns to frost. Even the best windows are still poor insulators compared to what's in your walls (hopefully).

NE

01-08-15, 05:03 AM   #5  
Thanks for the replys! I bought a mid-level pella window. I wanted to get some decent windows to help the resale value of my home. It has only done it that one time this year, so i'm guessing it was just that cold.

Group Moderator

NE

01-08-15, 04:40 PM   #6  
With all the wind we've had recently, you probably have plenty of fresh "dry" air coming into the home that's helping to keep the humidity down... replacing your warm humid air that's been in the house for a while.

The next 2 nights should be another good test for them. -5F here, I think?

Search this Thread