Rotten exterior door framing

Old 01-22-15, 11:50 AM

hello

I know there's good info about this subject all over here, but I didn't see this issue. if I took a good enough picture of the brickwork, you can see there's wood framing that goes into the slot that was left open. which now is rotted out and gone. i would love some suggestions how to make this repair. thx.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-15, 01:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Why is the slot there? did there use to be a door where the window is?

Old 01-22-15, 01:48 PM
Is this a door? Take another picture from farther away so we can see an overall view. If it is a door, buy a new prehung door and fill that slot with mortar.

Old 01-22-15, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
Personally, I think I'd pop off a few of the sill bricks and remortar them so that they have a nice 3/8"-1/2" gap between each of them. By the time you do that to 4 or 5 of them you will have spread the bricks out enough that you won't have any more gap... other than the same 3/8"-1/2" mortar joint that you should have on the ends.

As for the rotten wood above the brick sill, it looks like all you need to do is remove the storm door z-bar and replace the face trim. The sill nose looks fine. The board on the side of the bricks shouldn't even be there. A wider picture maybe would give us a better idea why its there.

Old 01-22-15, 10:23 PM
Group Moderator
The OP posted that it is a door.

Old 01-24-15, 09:58 AM
took me too long but here is a shot from further away, and still looking for advice

slot shouldn't be there??? house built in 1974, original door, i think. thank you.

Attached Images