Pella window warranty repair questions

Old 01-23-15, 07:26 PM
Question Pella window warranty repair questions

We have 9 year old Pella Architect Casement windows and Pella doors in our home. (52 windows and 3 doors).

I noticed that some of the external seals were broken and there were gaps where water was leaking in.

I submitted a claim and Pella has offered to replace the sashes on 10 of the windows and a door that is also taking in water.

Has anyone been through this process? I'm wondering how they are going to be able to replace the casement sashes and keep the window square? Do they come pre-drilled or do they square up the sash and drill, screw the brackets in on site?

Would it make sense to pain the sashes before having them installed? Seems like it would be a lot easier that way.

Thanks for the help,

ScAndal

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-15, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
The sash is the entire part that cranks out. All you do is remove the crank arm, remove a few screws from the hardware, and take the sash out. Hinges are usually swapped out. New screws will probably come with the new sashes. Paint before installed or not, really doesn't matter. Replacement is a simple process.

Fixed sashes are just like casements, but a few keeper screws hold the windows shut. Remove those screws and the fixed sash will hinge open.

Old 01-23-15, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the response. Any issues with them doing this in the winter or wait until spring?

Quote was 900$ for 10 windows and a door.

Old 01-24-15, 03:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just an opinion, but I would wait until spring. The only advantage of doing it in the winter would be they could stand on your snow drifts and not have to use ladders Just kidding, but opening up the house during the winter is a bit iffy considering your harsh winters. If the seals are part of a warranty, is it spelled out that there will be costs involved? In reality $80 per window for replacing the sashes is not all that bad. XSleeper will be back to give his opinion on that, so stay tuned.

Old 01-24-15, 03:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Would it make sense to paint the sashes before having them installed?
That would be easier but will they be on site with time for you to prime/paint them before installation? You'd still need to do some paint touch up on them after they are installed.

Old 01-24-15, 07:01 AM
Group Moderator
Mark is right about one thing... they won't be waiting around for you to paint them before they put them in! If you were DIY, that's one thing. But there is no reason for there to be any paint touchup with this style of window sash. (if they originally puttied over the screws that hold the fixed sashes, that is another matter.... silly painters!) But with this style of window there is no wood being removed or replaced on the frame itself to make any paint touchup necessary. If you wanted to save a few bucks, have them leave the sashes... you can paint and install them yourself. Let them do the door repairs if it leaks.

No issues doing it in the winter. Each window will probably be open for 5-10 minutes. They can close the bedroom doors if it helps.

Old 01-24-15, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the response all. I was hoping pella could have them shipped to me prior to installation. This would give me a chance to paint them in my garage rather than 40' up in the air (I don't like heights).

I thought the cost was reasonable even though it shouldn't be that tough of a job. Some of the windows are extremely heavy and like I said, way up there.

Old 01-24-15, 07:24 AM
Group Moderator
Most painters crank the windows open, lean out and paint them. They don't have the luxury of disassembling them and laying them flat.

Replacing the sashes (and painting) can usually all be done from the inside. If the windows are huge, that's another story.

Old 02-15-15, 11:25 AM
Just an update. I talked with Pella and I can pick the windows up anytime and paint them in my garage before install.

Old 02-15-15, 11:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That is excellent. One step ahead of the weather and installers. Way to go

Old 02-15-15, 12:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just make sure you maintain a minimum amount of heat in the garage before during and after painting. The substrate temp is just as important as the air temp along with having decent temps during the drying process [especially with latex coatings] 50 or warmer is ideal.

Old 02-15-15, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys!

I thought it was pretty cool of Pella to let me do that.

I won't be doing it until the temps warm up here a bit and my garage is radiant heated so I should be able to maintain a good temp. Thanks for the advice!

Old 02-15-15, 01:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
They probably look at as they don't have to transport the windows along with good customer relations