Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Estimated cost to frame & install new window

NJ

02-02-15, 02:12 PM   #1  
Estimated cost to frame & install new window

New Home is in Myrtle Beach, SC area, we use as vacation home & just purchased new this past summer.

Like to add a std. double-hung window in corner of Kitchen where there are no cabinets. All electrical is running in lower half of wall, we did pre-sheetrock walk-through in July. We need hole framed out + cleaned up outside. Exterior is Vinyl siding and nothing present on outside of home to interfere. Excluding cost of window, about how much should I expect in labor & materials?? Window size will probably be 30-36" wide and 38-42" high. thanks a lot, Tom

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

02-02-15, 03:37 PM   #2  
I'd say it would be at least $400.00

Group Moderator

NE

02-02-15, 03:46 PM   #3  
Depends on how finished the job needs to be. Does this include all materials, and will the window be trimmed inside and out? Or no trim outside... just replace the siding around the window?

If I was doing it I would probably bid it at $500... assuming no more than $100 in materials and a good part of the day just to get out there, get set up, do the work, get cleaned up and get back home.

But as one of our members loves to point out, prices vary depending on your location, so you really should be getting local estimates. If contractors there charge $60/hr then my estimate would be way low. On the other hand, if you can find a handyman that could work for much less, that would probably be a good deal... provided he's not a fly-by-night kind of guy, knows how to put in a header and the work he does is up to code.

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

02-02-15, 05:23 PM   #4  
If you want to save money, do not tell contractor you can afford a vacation home in SC.
Just joking.... If drywall is not installed inside, that helps to install a header relatively easy.
But if exterior siding is installed, the problem will be proper flashing of window. Quite a bit of siding may need to be removed and reinstalled. Others here may have a better option.

I would recommend discussing flashing with contractor, get an honest bid and then check back for opinions. The new window will create all kinds of headaches without proper flashing.

Brian
Cal Contractor

Group Moderator

WI

02-03-15, 08:22 AM   #5  
As has been stated, there are usually too many variables for remote estimation so the best bet is to get three or more local bids so you can compare.

NJ

02-03-15, 09:13 AM   #6  
I'm getting 2 bids on our next trip in mid-late March. I was just asking for ballpark figures which I always like to have in back of my mind on any work that i am paying for. Home was closed on in early August so inside & outside is completely finished. My guess estimate for SC where labor rates are much lower than my home state of NJ is ~ $400. We shall see and thanks for the mentioned tips

Search this Thread