Correcting door frame problem

Old 02-28-15, 06:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Correcting door frame problem

Hi all, several years ago I had these doors framed into this wall that bisects my basement. The problem seems to be that one side of the frame, in this case the left one, has pulled away from the block towards the bottom so that the door will no longer shut. Originally I had thought the door itself had warped and was planning on planing it down, but now I am wondering if there is a way to get the frame back into its' correct position. What would you do?

(ignore the strips of wood that extend above the door frame on either side; they were just for putting paneling up on the wall and have nothing to do with the structure in question)

Name:  IMAG0560[1].jpg
Views: 206
Size:  21.5 KB

Old 02-28-15, 07:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,743 Upvotes on 1,567 Posts
So if I understand you correctly, it is hitting on top of the door (top left) and also along the left side of the door (bottom left)?

Did you attach some framing to the block before you put the door in? The reason I ask is that if that framing wasn't attached very well, it may have pulled away from the block, creating your problem. Normally, the casing (face trim) will prevent the jamb from moving, provided it is nailed securely to both the jamb and the stud... provided that stud doesn't move!

So I would say that maybe if you can remove some of that trim on the right side of the door, see if you can whack the bottom hinge side of the jamb back toward the right. (Use a block of wood and a big hammer to soften the blow) Once you get the door to close normally, put a 3" long screw through the hinge plate on the jamb (in one of the holes closest to the door stop) so that the door jamb is securely fastened to the stud (which hopefully is also secure). If it's moving, you probably need to correct that first.

Old 02-28-15, 07:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The picture doesn't relay the problem very well. I understand the strips, so no problem. Is the frame going inward, or laterally? Pictures of the door almost closed would help. Basically the door fit at the factory, so it should fit in your home, unless there was an installation error.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: