pocket window replacement

Old 03-25-15, 08:16 AM
pocket window replacement

I want to replace my old wood windows with the weights with pocket replacements, but I don't want to lose anymore window glass area. I have 3 sets of 3 double hungs (22x60). Each set of 3 is divided by two columns where the weights are located. Would I be able to get a larger pocket replacement and build out the frame where the weight columns are so that my window area is the same. I hope this makes sense, any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-15, 03:07 PM
Make's since, sort of.
Whole lot of extra work with little to gain.
Would required a whole lot of work inside and outside.
I've installed hundreds of replacement windows and not one customer complained about less glass area.
Post a picture of both inside and outside so we can give you an idea of how much extra work it's going to be.

Old 03-27-15, 10:07 AM
Old 03-27-15, 10:10 AM
Old 03-27-15, 10:20 AM
Basically I was thinking you would cut out the middle sections with a recip saw and then installing 2x4 where the weights were. The outside mullions would have to come off and cut to size as well as the exterior plywood? The width of the windows is already so small Im afraid it will look funny if they're any smaller.

Old 03-27-15, 12:10 PM
Those windows do look silly.
Not on site to see the whole thing and what room it's in, but I'll throw out some ideas.
Remove everything and install two double hung's.
Important room like the living or dinning area use a bow or bay window.

Old 03-28-15, 05:22 AM
They probably look different because we recently remodeled that room and took off all the trim and window molding. Since we were planning on new windows we never put the trim back up. Each window opening is about 22x58. The outside is stucco so I am concerned about ripping everything out and having to deal with cracking stucco and patching. That seems like a lot more work than what I proposed.