Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bathroom window replacement question

OR

03-31-15, 04:18 PM   #1  
Bathroom window replacement question

I'm remodeling a bathroom to install a tub/shower in an alcove with a window. The existing window is double hung wood sash and trim. I plan to remove the trim and sashes, leaving all remaining structure and framing in place, and install a single aluminum casement with tempered glass into the 36"x36" opening in the inside (lower) wood sash track. The casement will butt up to the sash stops on the exterior. Then I'll install backerboard and subway tile on the alcove walls and wrap the backer board and subway tile right up to the aluminum and caulk that transition, sloping the tiles at the base of that opening inward. Any reason why I shouldn't do this?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

03-31-15, 04:29 PM   #2  
If it gets cold where you live, an aluminum window will sweat profusely in a humid bathroom.

VA

03-31-15, 05:31 PM   #3  
Post a picture, sure sounds like a really bad idea so far.

OR

03-31-15, 09:15 PM   #4  
Why is it a bad idea?what do you want in the photo?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-01-15, 04:38 AM   #5  
A pic or two would let us know how the window sets in the wall [placement compared to the rest of the shower] http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html Windows are rarely a great idea in a shower.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

OR

04-01-15, 11:34 AM   #6  
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  23.4 KB

So if I attached the photo correctly you'll see the 36x36 window will be centered in a 60" long alcove for the tub.

My question isn't so much about the decision to locate the tub under the window as it is about how to install a replacement aluminum sash, trimmed with tile, and whether there's a better way to do it to address potential moisture issues.

VA

04-01-15, 06:05 PM   #7  
Is there also going to be a shower? If so loose the window or at least reframe for a transom window.
Not a shower then install a vinyl replacement window not aluminum.
Aluminum will transfure the the heat and cold through the frames an will be a condinsation night mare.
A replacement window might take a whole 1/2 hour to install.
In addition in your area I'd guess at least R-19 is called for in outside walls. Now's the time to build out those walls so it will fit and just add jamb extentions around the window.
2 X 4's only fit R-13.
Also add a vapor barrier to the studs before covering.

Search this Thread