Can I replace the double layer window core?

Old 04-09-15, 08:43 AM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can I replace the double layer window core?

Hello all,

The basement well window is broken. It has two layers and the inside layer is broken and outside is fine so far.

My friend told me that i cannot simply replace the broken glass because the seal has been broken for the double-layer window and I have to replace the whole window instead.

I would like to know what options I have here? Can I replace the core of the window? Where can I buy the replacement window core? If I am right, the window type is casement window.

Thank you

Attached Images  
Old 04-09-15, 09:16 AM
J
Received 125 Upvotes on 110 Posts
In most cases the whole sash needs to be replaced, not the whole window.
Any idea on what brand it is, or where it came from?

Old 04-09-15, 09:24 AM
Q
Have no access to the window now. Don't know the brand and it was installed in 2004.

Old 04-09-15, 10:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 724 Upvotes on 634 Posts
Replacing the sash is probably the most common although you can special order the double pane unit, most any glass store can order it if they have the correct dimensions. You'd need to know the brand in order to replace the sash.

Old 04-09-15, 10:51 AM
Q
Hello Marks,

When you said "Sash", do you mean replace the whole window frame + the glass? The window frame is the one that I can pull open inside.

Thank you

Old 04-09-15, 11:15 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you look outside you should see some plastic strips (seals) They can be pried off with a small putty knife. take off the seals, measure the width and height of glass and press the seals back in place. Any good glass shop can order a replacement glass unit .double pane, sealed. Then you can remove seals again, press out old unit, clean frame, apply silicon and insert new glass and replace seals.

Old 04-09-15, 11:27 AM
Q
Hello all,

This is the window we found in the house we plan to buy. After getting so many helps from this forum, we know this is not a difficult job to DIY. Will post update later after the house is bought.

Thank you all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: