How to clean old door? See pic

Old 04-19-15, 07:20 AM
How to clean old door? See pic

Does anyone have any advice/experience with cleaning an old door like this one?

Name:  housedoor2.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  36.3 KB

1.) What material to use to clean it

2.) Any ideas what to do about the pet door? The previous house owner had pets. I wonder if I am better off just cleaning it and leaving it for resale value down the line in case the potential buyer has pets.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-15, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum! Seems to me, it would be easier and faster, to just paint it, I would think.
As far as the pet door, I think you'd have to just leave it there or replace the whole door. It would look pretty bad to just replace it with a piece of wood or something.

Old 04-19-15, 07:29 AM
Looks like it needs a new door or at least stripping, repainting, and a new sweep, not just cleaning.
That pet doors not going to add a dime in resale value.

Old 04-19-15, 07:35 AM
Thanks. What would a tpyical cost be to replace this door? First time home owner as you can tell...

Old 04-19-15, 07:36 AM
I agree with Joe. Replace it. Besides a pet door is a security risk and will actually de-value the house at resale. At the very least paint it after using something like Murphy's oil soap to remove surface dirt.

Old 04-19-15, 09:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As Shadie said, it doesn't need to be spotless to repaint it - just remove the worst and make sure the cleaner residue is rinsed off. My oldest son just bought a place that used to have a pet door but it's a flush door and the way the patch pieces are installed it looks to be hard to remove [especially from te exterior]

Measure the height/width of your door and go a the big box store to price a slab door to fit. You would need to bore the hole and mortise the hinges.

Old 04-19-15, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
Besides a pet door is a security risk and will actually de-value the house at resale.
Not to mention the glass.