Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help! Re-installing window screens

WI

04-19-15, 03:19 PM   #1  
Help! Re-installing window screens

I have looked all over online for an answer to this question with no luck, so hopefully someone here can help me. We purchased our house last year, and had to remove a window screen on the 2nd floor for cleaning. We removed the screen fine, but can't get it back in!

It doesn't have any pull/lift tabs, but has 2 tension thingys on one side of the screen. Three of us worked on this stupid screen for over an hour with no luck. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting it back in?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links

VA

04-19-15, 03:24 PM   #2  
Spring side goes in first, once it's in the track may need to pry up to to get the top to slide in.

WI

04-19-15, 04:02 PM   #3  
Thanks! Knowing which side went in first helped. Still was a really tight squeeze, and is not all the way in, but after messing with it again for a half hour, we deemed it "good enough". We couldn't get it even that far from the inside-- we had to go stand on the awning underneath the window outside to push the last corner mostly in. I know they're supposed to be tight, but this one seems a little extreme!

Group Moderator

NE

04-19-15, 04:38 PM   #4  
In my experience the springs always go on the left (from the inside) and in some cases the frame will have some spacers that are for the side with the pull tabs (if so equipped). I know that sometimes people get the screen backwards and if the springs are sitting on the spacers, it won't quite work right.

Screens often come out pretty easy when you remove them from the inside, but putting them back on is almost always easier if you can do it from the outside.

Search this Thread