Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Replacing top sash of single hung American craftsman window.

Old 05-04-15, 08:19 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove and replace the top sash of an American Craftsman single hung window?

I ordered clear glass and my contractor put it in before I had a chance to see it. Well, it is as green as grass. I'm not sure how the company can claim it is clear glass.

I am thinking about ordering sash replacements with a different colored glass to put into the window. But then I realized I might not be able to remove the top sash?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-15, 05:55 AM
Group Moderator
The glass is what gets replaced. There is no "sash" to replace on a single hung. There are 3 main glass mfg's in the USA: LOF (Libby Owens Ford) Pilkington and Cardinal. Each will have a slightly different tint to their glass, especially if it is Low-E. If he got the glass from the mfg, it is likely Low-E which would explain the tint. Most window mfg's won't even sell a window that has "clear glass" since it does not meet todays NFRC and Energy Star standards. But you can get clear IGU's from a commercial window shop.

So I would suggest you call a commercial glass company, have them replace the insulated glass unit in the top half of your window and if you get lucky your glass may not have the greenish tint anymore.

Old 05-07-15, 05:28 AM
Ok, thank you so much for your answer. That helps!