Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Doors: Masonite Safe n Sound vs Jeld-Wen ProCore or MDF?

Old 05-07-15, 12:03 PM

We're looking to replace all our current flat hollow doors with a nicer looking 2 panel type door. We have some hollow core masonite 2 panel doors in our basement we're happy with, but are now considering something to help cut the sound on the main floor (we're in a small ranch with hardwood floors, and 2 babies...) and have stumbled across the "Safe n sound" doors (sounds like basically a hollow core masonite door filled with grass/fibers?) or others have recommended the Jeld-Wen ProCore doors which I believe are MDF doors, and expensive I assume, and I think we'd need to add a 3rd hinge? Anyone have any recommendations as to which might help the most with sound transmission? When I called Masonite they said the Safe n Sound doors won't help with noise that much but it seems some bloggers really think they do. Or should we just stick with the hollow doors that are half the price and accept that sound travels in a small house, there will be about 1" gap at the bottom of the doors anyways...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-15, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
I don't know who you talked to at Masonite...but they were wrong or just untrained. That is the whole purpose of the SnS door construction. Sound reduction. I sold these when they first came out and have to say I was pretty impressed. The core is basically a sort of semi-compressed material much like the door skins are made of. Think expanded pegboard? They weigh much more than a hollow core (HC), but less than an MDF core door, as I remember at least. They are designed to reduce sound and also have a greater fire resistance than typical HC doors, though not enough to get a fire rating. That's why they don't advertise as such, liability issues. I saw a test video they made and the HC door burned through in something like 5 min, the SnS was close to 14 or so. They also have the feel of a solid wood door and are resistant to dents and holes.

It's been a few years, but I believe the price difference was about $30 over a typical special order HC door. Not a big deal. Naturally, it will work out more like $70 over an off the shelf in stock door.

One problem of course is the weight which will indeed likely require 3 hinges. Since there are only 3 holes in an interior door hinge only one longer screw would hit framing, not really enough IMO.

Another issue is the installation of a typical interior door. The normally required gap at the bottom, the lack of weatherstripping, no insulation between jamb and framing...lots of places for sound leakage.

Never dealt with the JW Pro-Core, but they look like pretty much the same thing based on what I can find.

If I was building a new place or there was an issue with sound, I would go for either one of these depending on availability and price in my area.

Old 05-07-15, 02:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Hollow core doors are not very efficient to begin with. I believe anything you replace them with will be an improvement. Doors don't usually reject sound transmission due to their construction as flat plates. I can't comment on either of your choices, but a good education with all the good and bad will allow you to make a good choice for your situation.

If the manufacturer didn't taunt the effectiveness of their door as far as keeping noise at bay, then I wouldn't trust a blogger to have very much good information. And, as always, you get what you pay for.

I see Vic did his thing with recommendations from his experience. I based my information on what you had said the manufacturer told you. Hopefully the doors you choose will work.

Old 05-07-15, 03:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
From a slightly different angle, sometimes with kids, you WANT to hear everything that is going on. My wife could hear a sniffle from near 4 blocks away out of a dead sleep and rush to the kids to see what was the matter. Also, a quiet kid is one that is getting into something they are not supposed to. Lastly, they are only little for a short time. The sound issue will resolve itself.

Old 05-07-15, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, cause kids get quieter as they grow to be 5-7. Or when they are playing online games at 13...lol.

You can always leave the door ajar when they are young.

Main point I meant to make is that if you are upgrading for esthetics and other reasons, I'd spend the extra on the SnS or similar doors.

Old 05-07-15, 04:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vic - those are the fun years! Right now, 14 and 17 year old girls....Oh the drama! Had a complete melt down the other day because one wore the others pants without asking. The horror! Would have thought the world was about to end. Then again, me and the good Captain Morgan have drummed up quite the friendship..... (you only think that there is coffee in that mug)