Patio Sliding Door

Old 05-09-15, 09:42 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Patio Sliding Door

Previous homeowner poured slab for rec room he built and outside patio, so it's same height inside to outside. Slider, which is contractor grade leaks at bottom corner. I want to replace door. Apparently, when slab was poured, slider was an after thought so recess for track wasn't factored in. Was told I'd need a pan for new door, but all info I've seen on pans, shows it being used on raised threshold. Any ideas on options?

Old 05-09-15, 01:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You can buy sill pan or make your own. It's best if there is a slot at the edge of the house pad so that the front of the sill pan can go downward into that slot (which is usually the spot where your concrete house foundation ends and any outdoor concrete begins). If your concrete is continuous and there is no slot, you can make your own slot with a skilsaw and/or grinder. It's important that you seal the bottom of the sill pan so that nothing can leak under it. Then you usually seal the back interior side of the door to the sill pan.

Jambsill is one brand. Or you can buy a roll of copper coil and make your own.

Old 05-09-15, 08:09 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. That's the feedback I needed as my concrete is continuous and there is no slot. Had only seen sill pans used where there was an edge. I'll get on cutting a slot.

Old 05-09-15, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Truthfully, without seeing it, I understand you have no kerf, but it's also possible that you could cut the lip off the front of your sill pan and skip the kerf cut, provided you caulked the heck out of the sill pan and rough opening before you set it in place.

The only purpose of the sill pan is to prevent any water from blowing back under the door into the house. It doesn't keep the bottom of the door from sitting in a pool of water.

The kerf would just allow you to terminate the sill pan into something that could be sealed up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: