vinyl sliding door problems

Old 05-10-15, 12:07 AM
vinyl sliding door problems

I have a vinyl slide door frame that istill bowing down from the top center causing the non movable glass to bend out. With the glass bent out it causes the door to be difficult to close. My question is how do you shim a vinyl door. is it the same process as a aluminum sliding doors and what about the outside frame, do I make some clearance between the stucco and the door so it would allow for proper adjustment of shims. Long story short how do I shim a vinyl sliding doors

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-15, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! The frame should be fastened to the header. While looking up, do you see any fasteners? Do you see any predrilled holes? I don't think you need "shiims" as much as you need to draw the frame into squareness. You can post pictures that would help us see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 05-10-15, 06:00 AM
Group Moderator
You would first need to remove the trim to see if there is space between the door and the header. If there is, you probably need to remove the fasteners in the exterior nailing fin, then raise the top jamb until it's straight again, refasten it, and then install jamb screws across the top jamb every 12 - 16" or so to make sure it stays straight.

If there is no space on top of the door you will probably need to totally dismantle and remove the door from the opening. At a minimum you will probably need to remove the operating and fixed panels from the frame.

Old 05-10-15, 08:42 AM
I'll take some pictures today. But as I was looking it over I don't see any screws in the door frame. Thanks for the response. this is the first time in this forum and I love it.