New window screens

Old 05-13-15, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New window screens

Hi, the screens in our windows are as old as the house - 11 years or so. not great quality to begin with. For some reason I never seem to find a place to buy new, high quality screens. Someone once said the custom sizes of windows makes it tough and I could make them myself from parts?

Any tips?
thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-15, 12:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Are the aluminum screen frames in decent shape? Rescreening the frames isn't an overly difficult job.

Old 05-13-15, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
they're really the problem. some are bent. they dont seem strudy. but mostly they have little hitches that help the screens stay in and lock to the frame that are breaking. or little pulls to help pull the screen tight. its not as much the screening itself.

Old 05-13-15, 02:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
If you can't reuse the existing frames you'll need to either buy new ones off the shelf and if the correct size isn't available - have them custom made. It's been a long time since I had any custom made but I thought the price was more than reasonable.

Old 05-14-15, 04:26 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
From your description, pictures would help, they are probably made from rolled aluminum, a very thin aluminum. If you want quality, you must get screens made from extruded aluminum. Try a local glass shop or window retailer who can make or order these screens. Any parts that you can purchase to make your own screens will be rolled aluminum.