Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page > How much do you think these large picture windows will cost + construction

How much do you think these large picture windows will cost + construction

Old 05-16-15, 02:36 PM
How much do you think these large picture windows will cost + construction

I am thinking of finally adding some large picture windows in the back wall that faces the backyard...I thought it would be nice to let more light in and see more of the backyard. I also want a wider/taller patio door.

How much do you think something like this will cost? Construction and very insulated windows seeing we are in Colorado.

Here are some before and after photos I did in Photoshop.
Name:  window-1.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  34.2 KB
Name:  window-2.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  44.2 KB

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-15, 02:53 PM
Group Moderator
Well number one, the windows need a header over them, so the windows can't go clear to the ceiling like that. And if they go that close to the floor, they need to be tempered glass, by code.

I would guess that if you got (for example) 3 Pella Architect Series windows, triple pane, advanced comfort low-e glass, blinds between the glass, prefinished interiors... they would probably be about $1100-$1500 per window. Labor to install will vary, but it will include temporary walls, new headers, siding on the exterior (you didn't tell us anything about what kind of siding you have) and drywall and paint on the interior. At a minimum that entire wall will need to be repainted. And new trim painted to match. I would guess the labor at $4000 or so. Total project including materials maybe $7000 - $8000. More if you need to get an electrician to move the wires that run in the wall below your existing windows.

However your best bet will be to get several estimates from actual contractors in your area. Prices vary depending on your locale.

Old 05-16-15, 03:10 PM
Thank you very much for the info!

You are of course correct, I will probably not go that tall on the windows, but I would like them to go as close to the floor as possible...I'm sure tempered glass will be more, but it'll look better.

Now that I have a possible range, I'll see about getting a contractor in...I don't like to waste peoples time.

Thanks!

Mitch

Search this Thread