Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Can't figure out how to remove old windows for servicing - 1966 home

Old 05-22-15, 10:19 AM

Hi everyone, I've been trying to figure out how to remove my windows. I need to paint them, and replace the sash cords on many of them. The house was built in 1966 and these are the original windows. They are double hung & double pane. As you can see on the close up, the side jambs are vinyl.
Can someone walk me through the removal of the windows? I can't even figure out if I pulled them in, or push them out. I've looked at many youtube videos but non of them have the same setup as mine.
By the way, they all have storm windows that were installed probably 20 years ago.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Michael
Annapolis, Maryland

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-15, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
What does the writing/brand on the spring loaded cord pack say?

Having been a window installer for much of the past 25 yrs, I can tell you that you will probably destroy those vinyl jambs if you try to remove them. The vinyl is old and very brittle, and if I remember correctly, there are short pieces of 1/2x3/4 parting stop behind the vinyl, preventing the jambs from coming out.

If you could somehow remove the short pieces of parting stop (which you can't see or find) that are behind the vinyl jamb liners, then you might have a chance of getting them out. But like I said, you will probably break them.

Take the storm windows out and paint them in place.

Those jambs are vinyl, right? If it was aluminum, you would be able to bend the aluminum quite easily.

If they happen to be old 60's Andersen pre-permashield windows, you would notice that the jamb on both sides has a seam and that it is divided into two pieces, an upper half and a lower half. You would also see screws in the vinyl jamb. You would raise the sashes as high as they go, remove the screws, then pull the lower half of the jamb out without breaking it, bending it in a the bottom and sliding the jamb downward until it comes out from behind the sash.

Again, if you have this type of window, I would almost guarantee you will break the vinyl and then be up a creek. So paint them in place.

Old 05-22-15, 11:20 AM
Thank you XSleeper. The spring loaded cord pack says "Andersen". The glass says Andersen AW 2-4.
Yes, the jambs are vinyl and I already removed the screws you are mentioning. I just tried again like you indicated and I was able to remove the lower part. Like you said, some of it broke. Can I buy them somewhere?
I have no choice but to pull the windows out because I need to replace the sash cords too.
Thank you again! Progress at last.

EDIT: I am all set! I now need to order all the new sash balances and hopefully find the vinyl jambs. Thank you again for your quick help!

Last edited by deerpark; 05-22-15 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-23-15, 04:21 AM
Here is a video that will show you how to remove the sashes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtY6A0qy1EM

Old 05-23-15, 05:38 AM
Group Moderator
Go to Andersen's website and follow their directions. Unlike most other companies, Andersen is good about keeping parts in stock for their older windows, so you might have a chance.

When you paint the sashes, be sure you don't get any paint on the areas that need to slide on any part of the vinyl jamb liner. Otherwise the windows will stick.

Old 05-26-15, 04:09 AM
Thank you to both of you. I watched the video and ordered all the parts from windowparts dot com. I am kind of surprised the springs are $30 each but it is what it is. Appreciate all your help!

Old 05-26-15, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
$30 sounds cheap for anything with the Andersen name on it. They have you by the balls when it comes to service parts. But props to them for at least keeping that kind of stuff in stock. More than you can say for the other 99% of window companies out there.