Window Brand...New Construction

Old 05-22-15, 03:03 PM
Window Brand...New Construction

Hey All,

I am looking at which window company to choose for my new house build. I am trying to find a best bang for the buck series. Right now I need to decide on what to do for my basement windows, and then a few months I will need to know the main floor window specifications. I am looking at Jeld Wen and Andersen (also their Silver Line brand). I can't justify spending $400 per Andersen window when their Silver Line and Jeld Wen's are half the cost. I am only looking at Casement and Double Hungs. I want something easy to clean and that has a good latching mechanism that will hold up to years of use. I have seen older Andersen and was not impressed with their single latch mechanism. I see the new ones now have a top and bottom latch, along with their A100 series and even Jeld Wen I believe does that now on casements.

My concrete contractor also sells a 4x4 slider for basements....I am almost considering using those but I feel they will not be the best quality or at least thermal value as they are a Builder's window if I recall.

Any advice when trying to get the best bang for buck? I'd love to find a middle of the line window series, and am thinking Andersen 100 series may be that, if SilverLine & Jeld Wen are crap? I don't see myself buying the A400 series, Pella, or Marvin...just not something I can justify with the total house build.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-15, 05:01 AM
Check out the Renewal by Andersen. I'm getting them installed this weekend. These are inserts, so I don't know what they call them for new construction. I felt they were the best buy for the money and had the best warranty. One of the things that sold me was the fact the Renewal by Andersen has their own crew to install them. Thereby eliminating the "they were installed wrong, sorry no warranty" problem. They also are the only company that has a 20 year limited warranty on the gas filled glass. You can pay more but I don't think you'll get better.