Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

anderson window screens too big

ME

05-26-15, 06:12 AM   #1  
anderson window screens too big

Is it possible to take these screens apart, hacksaw off some, and put the metal splines back in? They are about 10 years old and have always been just a little bit big in one corner. I have broke off the metal insert hook pulling on them and usually just put one or two in a season by pounding the too big corner in as much as I can and hoping they don't blow off. I should have called Anderson and returned them immediately, but its a seasonal place and it was the following spring before I noticed.

Sponsored Links

NY

05-26-15, 06:26 AM   #2  
They should be warranted. Call them. If not, yes you can "fabricate" new screens. The metal spline will be replaced with a rubber spline type gasket. Show me pic of the screen so I can be sure we are talking the same thing. I do screen repairs for Andersen and many more screens in my job.

ME

05-26-15, 07:32 AM   #3  
Although my windows aren't Anderson, your description on fighting to get them installed is the same as mine. I usually just go outside and push them in as I have lost a couple of the tabs trying to pull. The solution I found was to expand the window frame a bit. Basically my windows had pushed in over time so pushing them back out served as a temporary solution for installing the screens. My permanent fix has been all new windows, wife loves them.

Bud

NY

05-26-15, 07:45 AM   #4  
Bud,

Today, as we speak I'm watching my new Renewal by Andersen windows being installed.

To the OP, try not to damage the frames too much. It will make repair a bit easier.

ME

05-26-15, 08:03 AM   #5  
Norm,
"try not to damage the frames too much." agreed. It is just that they do make it with a lot of persuasion so I found it didn't take a lot of pressure and the screens could then fit in.

You'll enjoy the new windows. My old ones were 33 years old and it took 2 men and a boy to push them up and down. These new ones lift with one finger and tilt out for cleaning.

Bud

NY

05-26-15, 08:18 AM   #6  
Funny. Some of my old windows could not be opened with any kind of force. All the springs and strings broke. I'm impressed with the speed and finesse they are using. We have two floors, 13 windows in all. Today all the windows will be installed from the inside and insulated. Tomorrow they will finish off the outside to blend in the vinyl siding. Next year I'm replacing my sliding glass door. But I think I'll do that myself.

NY

05-27-15, 04:21 AM   #7  
You didn't mention the style of window. An out of square or improperly shimmed window can cause the screen not to fit properly. Andersen screens are made to fit their windows. You can cut them but you'll have to re-screen them and replace the metal spline with .260 foam spline which may be hard to find. Pictures would help.

Search this Thread