Caulking Interior Door Stop

Old 05-30-15, 09:38 AM
Caulking Interior Door Stop

I bought five special order custom sized pre-hung interior doors from Lowes but I wasn't happy about how the door stops met in the corners (the skinny piece of wood on the inside of the jamb that stops the door from swinging through to the other side). Instead of having an angled cut in the corners the side pieces go all the up and the top piece of door stop lines up square in the corners (see picture)

I complained about it but the Lowes rep said I should caulk where the door stop meets the jamb and this will hide all seams and therefore the ugly door stop corners will be hidden.

In theory the rep is correct, if all the door stop seams are caulked then the corner cuts will not show. For that matter, after caulking, the entire door stop will look like one piece. But my concern is, does anyone ever caulk the seam where the door stop meets the jamb? After caulking and painting will the caulking residue be seen through the paint?

For reference, I bought two special order doors from Home Depot and they corners were cut at an angle and look perfect.

Name:  IMG_20150530_120042.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  20.5 KB

Last edited by gordomao; 05-30-15 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-15, 09:52 AM
It's common in shipment to have the jambs come loose, if there already installed see if a shim will bring them together.
If there not install give it a tap.
Any tiny gaps always get caulked all the time with latex caulking and once primed and painted if done right it should not show.

Old 05-30-15, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
On painted trim, all edges of trim get caulked and painted. Yes, it would have been better if it was mitered, but it's crying over spilled milk at this point.

Old 05-30-15, 11:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I always caulk everywhere 2 pieces of wood meet, just part of the prep work needed to get a professional looking job. If I'm not mistaken most [maybe all] of the prehungs have the door stops installed like yours.

Old 05-30-15, 12:11 PM
To joecaption:
Sorry for the confusion but take a look at the picture I just added, I'm not asking about the jambs.

To XSleeper:
Sorry for the confusion but take a look at the picture I just added, I'm not asking about the caulking around the trim.

To marksr:
You seem to have experience with this. Have you ever had a problem with how the caulking looks after painting over it?

P.S. - How do I quote/reply directly to one of the posts above? Other forums have a "quote" option which will notify the person I'm quoting/replying to.

Old 05-30-15, 01:29 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe I should have capitalized the word ALL. That includes "all joints and edges of everythuing" that gets painted.

Old 05-30-15, 02:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Caulking should always be 'tooled' after it's applied - I use my finger and/or a small damp sponge. You don't want to apply more caulk than needed. Caulking that is smoothed out correctly looks great once painted.

To the far right on the tool bar at the top of the reply box is a 'cloud' click on it and then copy/paste what you want to quote between the 2 quotes - [quote] .... [quote]

Old 05-31-15, 06:04 PM
Caulking should always be 'tooled' after it's applied - I use my finger and/or a small damp sponge. You don't want to apply more caulk than needed. Caulking that is smoothed out correctly looks great once painted.

To the far right on the tool bar at the top of the reply box is a 'cloud' click on it and then copy/paste what you want to quote between the 2 quotes
Thank you for all the help. I plan on caulking all the areas where two pieces of wood meet so all gaps will be hidden.