vinyl patio screen door track

Old 06-02-15, 08:41 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vinyl patio screen door track

Trying to find a vinyl patio screen door track and replacement screen door. There are no ID markings on the door/frame. The track sits in a 5/8" slot 1/2" high.

Name:  8374.jpg
Views: 3583
Size:  15.7 KB

Last edited by vinyl; 06-02-15 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-15, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 137 Votes on 129 Posts
Sliding Screen Door Track 72" White Vinyl - Hardware - Amazon.com

Take your screen door to Home Depot or to a glass shop, they might be able to order you a new one.

Old 06-02-15, 11:11 AM
saw this 1

There is a notch on the Amazon tracks outside that is half way up on 1 side. The 1 I have has a notch on the lower outside part other wise this would be perfect. I tried to order this 1 anyway and they were out of stock and would call me back. From Metro Screen works per the ad.
I took the track to Home Depot and local hardware store trying to figure a solution. Both said get the track then they could match a screen door for it custom as it is 76" tall and stock replacements come in 78" and up adjustable.

Last edited by vinyl; 06-02-15 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-02-15, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 137 Votes on 129 Posts
If that nub makes it too tight just sand it off with an orbital sander and some 80 grit.

Old 06-02-15, 04:02 PM
#

I will try this. thanks for the input

Old 06-12-15, 12:31 PM
If you haven't installed that generic screen door yet . . .

I am on my second screen door like the one you're talking about. This one is probably only 3 years and I am replacing it. The first one lasted about 6 years and was merely OK. The opening on my atrium type door is 77 3/4" high (inside rail to rail) and it wouldn't accommodate the top rail with the rollers so the instructions say to not use it. I would have taken it back but I had destroyed the cellophane packaging and hadn't seen any alternatives. The aluminum is cheap and the holes that are supposed to keep the rail in place strip out leaving one to jury-rig it. The rail is held away from the frame proper by a bowed piece of metal that isn't long enough so the door rocks side to side and now the corners flex too much and the door falls out of the track onto the deck. Latest fix seems to be holding better - I added another screw rather than use a larger screw shown in the distance here: Name:  IMG_2159.jpg
Views: 1864
Size:  44.0 KB

It is possible that either there is more than one company that makes these (in the dark color?) for the big boxes or they have gone back to the original design. It had a shorter door allowing me to use both the top and bottom adjustable roller sections. The "spring" mechanism to keep the rollers tight on the rails was either much bigger or they had 2 of them - don't remember which but however it kept the door far more plumb/level. And, the rubber bug guard doesn't hold up more than a couple of years the afternoon sun exposure that my door gets. I left the first one too wide and when it started fraying, I taped it back together with black duct tape. That was a big mistake; it got all puckered up from the heat/sun.

Last week I was looking on line for screen mesh to replace a proprietary clear view screen and found the great folks at DIY Screens Direct - Window and Door Screens at Direct Prices I have no affiliation with this company whatsoever. Lynda in their customer service area has been most helpful and sent me samples of the screen mesh they carry, but more importantly the door frame, top rail, and alternate bug guard material. Name:  IMG_2161.jpg
Views: 1477
Size:  22.4 KB
From what's on the site, I am sure that this will look like a real screen door. Cheapo me, I'll be ordering the stock DIY kit and will have to cut the side pieces but since I don't need any of the other semi-custom features don't need to spend the extra $20 plus. If it weren't for the shipping, this one will be less expensive than the one I bought three years ago but I am sure it will last much much longer. Standard Sliding Screen Door Kit

Will post back and let you know how the project went.

Last edited by Helpmepls; 06-12-15 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Shipping made it more expensive than prior door.