Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

exterior door frame need help

ME

06-14-15, 06:54 PM   #1  
exterior door frame need help

I have a entry door 32" wide, so obviously my frame is to accommodate that sizing. I have a newer 36" door that was given to me and would like to put that in its place. the old door frame also has a storm door on it which is fitting for the old door. But the new door is not the kind you want to cover with a storm door. My question is what is the easiest , cheapest way to do this project? I looked online and either I know not how to search for or it does not exist, a door frame with threshold itself. Not even lowes, as far as I can tell. should I just buy a used plum door that someone is selling used and discard the door? or does hardware or anywhere else sell this? or is there easy way novice can pull this off without purchasing complete frame with threshold?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-14-15, 07:06 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! All you have is a 36" slab? Yeah, you will need to build a 36" door frame from scratch or go to a salvage yard and see if they have one for sale. Is your slab punched and mortised for hinges?

Once you remove your 32" door and frame, you will need to remove siding, sheetrock, and studs to make the opening larger, then build a new 42" long header to cover over the top of the new frame you will install.

It is quite an undertaking for 4". but totally doable.

VA

06-14-15, 11:55 PM   #3  
It would by far be faster and easier to to just go buy a 36" prehung door unit then to try and build a whole frame from scratch.

ME

06-15-15, 05:38 AM   #4  
thanks chandler, I agree finding a used frame somewhere, just wanted to know right way to go. thanks for the extra info. not afraid of the work and not looking for easier, just looking way a novice can accomp;lish the task with excellent results without paying much.

Search this Thread