Deadbolt hard to turn

Old 06-15-15, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deadbolt hard to turn

Hello. Trying to turn deadbolt into niche to lock door. Deadbolt works fine, but is running into this metal part in the niche:

As you see, the metal part is jagged. My mom said that this has happened before. Guy filed or sanded that metal piece to fix. Could I have more specific guidance on how to do this?

I won't lube it as I tried that last time and ran into all sorts of problems when the deadbolt got lube on it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-15, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
I suspect the house is expanding or shifting a bit with the changing season causing the bolt to hit the strike plate. Sometimes a pull or push when locking and unlocking will get you through the trouble season. The part you are trying to show but if you want you can file the cut out so enlarge or smooth the edges. You will need a file intended for metal and it will be easier if you remove the plate but it can be done in place if you are patient. Most files cut in one direction and it's usually on the push stroke. Apply pressure to hold the file against the metal and push smoothly. Release the pressure on the back stroke as the file won't cut so it will save you a little energy.

Old 06-15-15, 04:20 PM
Thanks. Could you tell me what kind of a metal file specifically and where they sell them? Thanks again.

Old 06-15-15, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
Just go to any home improvement or hardware store and ask for the files. For what you want it will have a flat face and fine or medium diagonal lines. Something that looks like fish scales, teeth, criss crosses or curved lines is not the best for metal.

Here is a .pdf that will probably tell you more than you wanted to know about files. For working metal I like a single cut mill file. Luckily it's one of the most common types.

Old 06-15-15, 10:10 PM
That's a beautiful image that will help me a million when I go out and buy one.

I read your description above of the motion to make, but am still a little confused. Just push it over the rough edge until it smooths out?

But don't saw it back and forth?

Old 06-16-15, 10:14 PM
I used the single-cut mill file to file down the bottom of the niche and some of the bottom right. Worked like a charm. Thanks.