Andersen clad or Jeld Wen clad?

Old 06-17-15, 08:12 AM
Andersen clad or Jeld Wen clad?

We priced out some double hung Andersen 400 windows. I like that the frames are vinyl clad but the sashes aren't really clad but rather painted with some sort of protective paint or whatever they call it.

While running through Home Depot a few days ago picking up some items, I saw the Jeld Wen W-2500 series. They are aluminum clad AND the exteriors of the sashes appear to be clad as well. I also saw the W-4500 series but they look to possibly be even more expensive than the Andersen 400s.

Any insights? Thanks.

FWIW, one reason I went with the 400s initially is we are replacing a few old Andersens in the house. So I was looking for a somewhat uniform look and the 400s seemed to look like the old Andersen Narrolines I have in the house.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-15, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 131
I think you're mistaken about the Andersen 400 sashes. The exterior is vinyl clad. Andersens are far superior to JeldWen and you will have parts and service for the Andersen years from now.

Old 06-17-15, 09:05 AM
I have read that for their 400 Casement windows, the entire exterior is vinyl clad but in the 400 double hung, the frames and sill are vinyl clad but that actual sashes are painted with some acrylic/vinyl material.

To confirm this someone suggested a test. So I ran to our local supplier that had a 400 double hung display and when you ran your finger nail along the frame, nothing, but when you ran your finger nail along the sash, you could make a small indentation in the sash. Because it appears the sash is covered by a special paint, not actual vinyl.

I am still leaning Andersen. But I just wanted to be sure. I also looked at Pella but while people say they've gotten better over the years, they appear to still be plagued with issues.

Old 06-17-15, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
I'd go with the Andersens. I like the J-W ok as well, and if you want a specific color they might be the way to go. Unfortunately, I've seen more failures of various sorts with them than with the Andersens. I sold both for 5 years back in VA

The sashes on Andersens are basically coated in a liquid plastic. It will last much better than any sort of paint.

In either one, installation is everything.

Old 06-17-15, 09:23 AM
Thanks. As I said, we are leaning Andersen. Price was a reason I looked at the W-2500s because they were a bit cheaper but we will probably just stick with Andersen.

And please confirm my suspicions about Pella windows. I have to say they look pretty nice (I saw the lower end 450 Series and then the 850 series).......... but..............

Old 06-17-15, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
You must be looking at the 400 series "Tilt-wash" line then, a polyester Flexacron finish. A Vic mentioned, this is far superior to "paint".

The Andersen 400 series Woodright is their top line of double hung, and it has Permashield cladding, its sashes are Ultrex. A step up from Flexacron.

Old 06-17-15, 11:22 AM
Minor quibble, Woodwrights aren't Ultrex, which is Marvin's all fiberglass line. Woodwrights are Fibrex which is a blend of fiberglass and wood fibers. We looked at the Woodwrights but they were pretty pricey relative to the 400 Tilt Washes and some of the Jeld Wen options.

Old 06-17-15, 02:53 PM
Group Moderator
You're right, I meant Fibrex, not Ultrex.