Pella sliding screens

Old 06-25-15, 04:47 PM
Pella sliding screens

Hi All, anyone know how to adjust the sliding screens on a patio slider,I see 2 Phillips head screws on the inside top of screen but they don't seem to adjust anything.
Thoughts
Geo

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-15, 04:58 PM
Should also be two on the bottom.
If it was mine I would have backed the screws out, lifted up the screen, tipped out the bottom to remove.
That way you can check the rollers and springs, checked the tracks for damage and dirt.
Then tried screwing the adjustments to make sure there not stripped out before reinstalling.

Old 06-25-15, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Those should be the screws. There are no screws on the bottom on a Pella screen door unless it's really old. The main problem Pella screens will have is that since the screen is on the inside of the doors, the bottom groove gets filled up with dirt and debris. A plastic fin has to slide cleanly in that groove. (there are probably no bottom rollers, Joe... Pella currently hangs their screens from the top) Take a flat screwdriver and a vacuum and clean that bottom slot out with the door open, and then close it and clean the opposite side. My guess is that will help a lot.

If this isn't right, maybe include a picture. We have no idea how old of a door you are talking about. Could be an older style that did roll on the bottom. If so, Joe is right and the screws are on bottom that adjust the height.

Old 06-27-15, 07:00 AM
OK, cleaned the bottom tracks out but that didn't make any difference,there are 2 screws on the top that are tight,I backed them out some but that didn't seem to help,I was afraid to remove them but I think I may have to to see what's going on in there,does this make sense,should I use dome dry lube in there ? Doors were installed in 2007.
Here is a pic.

Attached Images  
Old 06-27-15, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
Is this a vinyl door? A Pella Thermastar? If so, disregard all my previous advice.

Otherwise, see page 19.

https://www.pella.com/Documents/pdf/...ownersmanu.pdf

There is a removable valance above the screen door that has to be removed to access the door spring and rollers. It is the thin piece immediately above the screen door, pictured on the left. It looks to have been caulked in when the door was painted, so after you loosen the screws in the top of the jamb that prevent it from sliding out, you will need to cut the caulk in order to remove it.

Old 06-28-15, 01:57 PM
Just an update, sliders are Pro Line,I have removed the screens,cleaned the tracks reinstalled screens and aligned and there is not much difference, just a poor design.
Geo

Old 06-28-15, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
OK, one problem I have seen on those doors is that there is a vinyl fin on the bottom of the door that is simply a guide for the door bottom. It's not supposed to drag on anything as the door slides, but sometimes that fin will curl and create more friction than it should, making the door hard to slide.

If that's the case, you can get a new vinyl door bottom for the door.

Once I had a painter who removed all the screens on one of my jobs in order to paint them and the door separately. He set the screens against a wall so that the screen was actually "sitting" on that vinyl fin, which is supposed to be straight up and down. After sitting that way for a few days, it curled the fin, and when he went to reinstall them, they wouldn't slide very easy and I inherited the problem. (yeah, thanks) Getting the new door bottom from pella was the solution.