Window won't stay up

Old 07-01-15, 09:14 PM
Window won't stay up

I have this window that lifts up. It used to hold in place. Then one day something must have broke. I have to wedge a stick of wood in there to hold the window up and open. There's a loop of string that now hangs on one side. Obviously this must be part of the system that broke.

Is there a name for this type of window or pulley system? I'm looking to search online for repair instructions.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-15, 03:38 AM
Got a picture?
Any idea what brand the window is? Look in the bottom right hand side of the glass for a name.
Google "window balance spring"

Old 07-02-15, 05:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you have a rope and weight system, look for screws on side, weight will rest in cavity in there. You will have to replace rope. Depending on window usually fairly easy. Pictures would help.

Old 07-02-15, 04:18 PM
Here's some pictures...
Name:  window-close.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  29.2 KB
Name:  window-far.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  33.8 KB

Old 07-02-15, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
If the rope comes out of a pack in the top jamb, it will sometimes say "Andersen" or some other brand. I would suggest you look on that spring unit to see if there is anything that gives the mfg. Otherwise we have no way of matching it from a picture of the window. You would need to remove the spring unit and take a picture of it along with the size of the hole spacing.

Old 07-03-15, 05:01 PM
Yeah I see 1 screw on each side but before I can pull out those pieces that are held by the screws I need to get the windows out. How is that usually done? Perhaps I need to remove the molding to reveal more screws that point outward (outside)?