Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing wood on exterior under window

VA

07-13-15, 08:18 AM   #1  
Replacing wood on exterior under window

Recently discovered some fungus growing on a piece of wood underneath a window on the exterior of the house. I wanted to remove the wood and replace it with a new treated piece and repaint it. Can someone please give me some pointers on this please? I am a new home owner, and haven't had to do many repairs like this in the past. I have included pictures of the area that I am talking about.

Thank you

Name:  IMG_2464.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  50.2 KB
Name:  IMG_2467.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  46.6 KB
Name:  IMG_2465.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  30.2 KB
Name:  IMG_2466.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  40.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-13-15, 09:50 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

Is the wood still solid? if it is, I'd clean it with a bleach/water solution and repaint. Sometimes adding extra mildewcide to the paint can be beneficial.

To remove the board you'd first cut the caulking and then find a way to pry out the old piece. Often it helps to make a cut into the board so you can remove a small piece of wood so you can then get under it to pry the rest out.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

VA

07-13-15, 10:08 AM   #3  
I will have to check to see how much damage is done to the wood. We just discovered it yesterday and didn't really know what to do about it. Hopefully it is just surface damage then and all we would need to do is sand it and treat it then.

I know it is hard to tell from the picture, but what would the likely hood be of it being a lot worse underneath?

Thank you

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-13-15, 10:14 AM   #4  
You'd have to scrape the wood to know for sure but generally if the wood is solid [can't easily poke a screwdriver into it] the wood should be fine. If the wood is soft then it should be replaced.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

07-13-15, 10:32 AM   #5  
What you have is called "LP", its an engineered trim. It's likely gotten moldy because it is flush with the front of the window and they weren't able to caulk the top edge very well, if at all. I doubt it's rotten behind.

If it was me, I would get another piece of LP and replace it, but this time, rip it on a table saw so that there is some space between the trim and the window so that you can stuff some foam backer rod in there and leave a space for caulking.

VA

07-13-15, 02:34 PM   #6  
What does LP stand for? unless it is as simple as laminated panel. If I were to goto Lowes could I just ask for this?

Thank you, it is starting to seem like it will be an "easy" fix. I will go out after dinner and see how bad the damage is.

Group Moderator

NE

07-13-15, 04:43 PM   #7  
LP = Louisiana Pacific, which is the company that makes the LP Smart side trim.

Shop SmartSide 540 Series Beige Engineered Treated Wood Siding Panel (Common: 4-in x 16-ft; Actual: 3.469-in x 191.875-in) at Lowes.com

VA

07-13-15, 06:52 PM   #8  
Replace it with PVC lumber and never have to paint or have it rot out again.

Search this Thread