Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Newly installed front entrance door problem

07-26-15, 07:16 PM   #1  
Newly installed front entrance door problem

My son just had a new steel insulated front entrance door installed on his house. Unfortunately, the outside of the door had a plastic film over it to protect it. This film left a very sticky residue on the face of the door that we cannot find anything that will take it off. Have any of you experienced anything like this and if so, how did you get the sticky coating off of the door? He purchased it at Menards and they will replace it, but he already had considerable time invested in staining the inside of this door. Thanks for any info!

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

07-26-15, 07:28 PM   #2  
You need an oil based product, gasoline, benzine, etc......

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-27-15, 04:07 AM   #3  
I've always used mineral spirits, mainly because I always had some on the truck.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

07-27-15, 07:44 AM   #4  
I'd try goo-gone in a small area if mineral spirits doesn't work. Stronger solvents may soften the paint.

Group Moderator

NC

07-27-15, 08:11 AM   #5  
I would start with low level solvents like paint thinner or mineral spirits. If that doesn't do it I'd go for something like MEK or lacquer thinner. You have to be careful with MEK and lacquer thinner though as they can soften/melt many plastics so don't get it on the weather stripping or door seals and it may also start to take off the primer paint from the door.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-27-15, 08:48 AM   #6  
Ya, there shouldn't be any problem with flooding the surface with mineral spirits but the hotter thinners need to be used sparingly/cautiously to prevent damage!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

07-28-15, 04:02 PM   #7  
Thanks for all the replies.

Search this Thread