Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Tool to open/close unreachable bathroom window?

Old 07-27-15, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Our new apartment's master bathroom doesn't have a ventilation fan, but it does have a vertical sliding window in the shower. The problems is, it's too tall for my wife to reach and almost too tall for me to reach to open and close.

I'm wondering if there is some kind of clamp/stick tool I can attach to the vinyl lip on the sliding sash, or some other tool we might be able to attach that will let us easily slide the window open and closed. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Name:  window.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  29.2 KB

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-15, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! They look to be horizontal sliders rather than vertical, but it's just words I am not sure if there is anything that you can attach to the window that will both operate the lock and slide the panels at the same time. Lubricating the sliding mechanism would help it slide easier, but I understand it is the height that is the problem. Could you post a picture further back showing the lock as well as the full lip of the window. We may be able to come up with something.

Old 07-27-15, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the reply, and whoops, I definitely meant horizontal!

I'm not concerned about making sure it's locked when it's closed, and it slides pretty easily. It really is just the height.

I'm wondering if a double-screw sliding door lock like http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-Pro.../dp/B003Y3JRC2 with a nylon strap held in place by the screws and hanging down a little to pull back and forth might work...

Old 07-27-15, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
They sell plastic stepstools that can be folded up, in BedBathandBeyond. Seems like an easier solution that trying to come up with some tool to open from a distance, which I don't think there is such a thing.

Old 07-27-15, 05:07 PM
I'll try to grab a further back picture shortly.

Old 07-27-15, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 199 Votes on 184 Posts
Do you own this apartment? If not then drilling holes is not a good idea. Have you tried a poking stick? Are you able to slide the window if you push it with a stick? If so then maybe it would be worth upgrading to a fancy stick for long term use. Maybe an aluminum rod with a rubber tip.

Old 07-27-15, 05:10 PM
We do have one of those, and it gets lots of use in the kitchen. (We're pretty much hobbits.) We're just trying to avoid the pain in the butt of moving the stepstool in and out of the shower all the time.

Old 07-27-15, 05:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The clamp you refer to is viable. If you could loop a piece of parachute cord or something similar under the lower screw, then attach the clamp to the bottom of the window, it may allow you to move the window open and closed.

Old 07-27-15, 05:59 PM
Thanks, Chandler! That sounds like a winner. Or at least a fairly cheap experiment if it fails.

Old 07-28-15, 05:33 AM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
While you are experimenting, here's a thought. A parachute cord as Chandler suggests attached left, right, and in the center to the movable window. when closed, adjust the length to be tight on the side you want to open and slack on the other side. With a rod with a hook of sorts, you pull down on the tight section and it pulls the window open. The other section then becomes tight so when you want to close you pull on that side. Opening and closing becomes as simple as pulling down on one side or the other.

If this is inside a shower you might use a material that wouldn't absorb water.

Bud