Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Twisted Metal Rod Coming out of Window

Jonny_NYC's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2

08-01-15, 01:03 PM   #1  
Twisted Metal Rod Coming out of Window

Does anyone know the purpose of this metal rod and/or the correct technical name?

Can I just cut it off?

Thank YouName:  Window Rod Coming out of Window - 1.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  28.4 KBName:  Window Rod Coming out of Window - 2.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  37.7 KB

Sponsored Links
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 39,968

08-01-15, 01:13 PM   #2  
Welcome back. You twisted it!!!! Just kidding. That is the tensioning rod that guides your window up and down and it has an attachment that helps keep the window in a raised position. Obviously yours doesn't have that option. You can just unhook it from the lower left. If you should ever need to use that window again, you'll need a replacement along with the other parts that are missing.

XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 19,316

08-01-15, 01:40 PM   #3  
Technical name is a spiral balance. Held by one screw at the top. Since yours is bent, its clearly shot. You generally replace them in pairs and need a tool to wind them... the color of plastic cap usually denotes the spring strength... 30 lb, 30 lb, 40 lb.

PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 42,517

08-01-15, 01:42 PM   #4  
That's a first for me..... I've never seen that on a window before.

Ok... just looked up spiral balance..... usually it's not seen when in operation.

~ Pete ~

joecaption's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,967

08-01-15, 04:24 PM   #5  
A spirial balance would not be mounted to the outside of the window.
It's made to go inside the window track and not be seen as mentioned.
Sure looks like a DIY attempt at trying to stop a break in.

Search this Thread