How to measure for new windows

Old 08-04-15, 11:50 AM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to measure for new windows

I am replacing the windows in my house and all the measurements I see are for the rough opening of the window. Is there any method aside from taking out the trim inside the house to get this measurement? I have aluminum windows with wood lap siding on the outside and wooden trim on the inside. Stick built house

Old 08-04-15, 01:22 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I always take the trim off. I've seen r/o vary all over the map depending on age of house, type of original window, and skill of the framers. It's going to have to come off anyway to install the windows. Use the opportunity to do a nice paint job on the walls by sanding down the ridge left by the old trim and painting without having to cut in around the trim.

Old 08-04-15, 01:32 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Post a picture of what you have now inside and out.
New constrution or replacement windows?
I agree with Carbide's advice though, going to have to do it at some point.

Old 08-04-15, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
With aluminum windows, you can almost always measure the exterior edges of the window and that will be the size you want the new window to be. I say "almost always" because there are always a few exceptions.

I agree with the others- that taking trim off is the best and only sure fire way to find your rough opening size. Don't forget to measure the wall thickness while you're at it. Depending on the type of windows you are getting, you may want to get them ordered to the exact thickness of your existing wall (outside of sheathing to inside of drywall).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: