Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page > Raising exterior door in - waterproofing and brick

Raising exterior door in - waterproofing and brick

Old 08-17-15, 06:20 AM
Question Raising exterior door in - waterproofing and brick

All,

I am glad to have found this site, hoping somebody can provide me some guidance. I was looking up area contractors when I found this site and just need this done, however that may be. I have an exterior door that I need to raise about 18" (I am raising the floor inside to same level as rest of house, this is the old garage converted to living space long before we moved here).

I have cutout the drywall t osee what I'm getting into and confirmed I have clearance to raise the header without issue. Here is the project as I see it, please correct where I am wrong or provide any input.

1. Cut brick out above door all the way to the top of the brick.
2. Install header.
3. Install some type of new base for the door/frame. I have NO idea what to do here and how to ensure it is water tight.
4. install door.

Can someone provide some insight on any of the above, but I am particularly lost on step 3.

Here are some pictures of what I'm working with (excuse the mud, my kids made a mess in the rain the other day).

Name:  door2.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  24.0 KB
Name:  door1.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  18.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-15, 07:07 AM
Group Moderator
You have a lintel above the door under the brick, right? That will have to be moved up as well.

Old 08-17-15, 07:24 AM
Yes I do. Can I just cut out the section I need opened up or do I need to actually remove the whole thing? I wasn't sure if one would be needed since I will be removing all brick above the door. Our front door (same height I need this door to be) goes up to the top of the brick but I haven't torn into it to see if a lintel runs along the ridge. If one is needed just to connect the two sides I will be sure to include one. Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread