Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Doorless double doorway into bedroom - need ideas!

Old 09-05-15, 08:34 PM

I have just moved into an apartment that has a double doorway leading from the living room into the bedroom I share with my toddler daughter. We'll soon have a roommate renting the second bedroom.

I want something in our bedroom doorway that provides privacy and blocks some sound --enough to be able to have a quiet phone conversation or tête-à-tête with my roommate in the living room while my little one is sleeping.

My single-mama budget is tight, and we will only live here for a year (although I do have permission to install a door). I live in a place where secondhand home interior items aren't readily available. Any ideas for me?

I've thought of thick curtains, but I'm not sure they'd block much sound at all, unless I can seal the curtains on top, bottom and both sides.

Thanks for your insight and ideas!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-15, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Be sure that permission is in writing to protect yourself when you vacate. Can you tell us how large the opening is? Maybe even posting a picture of it would help us to see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-06-15, 05:17 AM
You might look at folding doors, not the bifold kind, but the vinyl ones that expand and contract bellows style. Here's an example: Shop ReliaBilt White Folding Closet Door (Common: 36-in x 80-in; Actual: 36.5-in x 78.75-in) at Lowes.com

Not sure if they come double wide, but you may be able to put in two that meet in the middle. They are not too expensive and are easy to put up.